Are you struggling to create professional-looking invoices? Sending professional invoices to your clients can help you in many ways. It establishes a good impression on your clients about your business. Not to mention, it helps you in getting paid quickly. So, you definitely want to pull this off in the best way possible.
Luckily, this is not a very difficult task to do if you follow the right steps. In this guide, you will find step by step instructions on how to create an invoice with all the important details and fields in different formats like Word and Excel. We will also guide you through how you can quickly create an invoice using an invoice generator tool.
Let’s get started.
1. How to create an invoice
If you are creating an invoice from scratch you need to know how you can design your invoice in a professional way. Make sure you include all the details in your invoice that can help you get paid fast. To help you with this, we have listed down the important steps that you should follow while creating your invoice. Take a look at them.
1. Personalize your invoice and make it look professional
The best way you can make a professional invoice is by downloading an invoice template. There are many available online. Select an invoice template that suits your business needs.
- Adding your company logo and signature is sure to make an impression on your customers.
- Use colours on your invoice formats that match your brand. This way you can bring a professional edge to your invoices.
2. Add the Billing information
- Add the billing information of your business and your client carefully including the name, address email address and phone number. You can also add your business number if you have any.
3. Provide the Invoice number and select a due date
- Your invoices should have an invoice number that can help you track them. It’s best if you choose an invoice numbering system and stick to it.
- Add the date your invoice will be issued and the due date of the client to pay you.
4. List down the Items/Services and their cost
- The customer should know what they are paying for. Itemize the services you will be charging for and add the corresponding rates.
- If you’re selling products you can enter the quantity of it but it may vary depending on how you are charging your service.
- For tax included services, don’t forget to add the tax as well. If you are not sure if your services include tax, read this blog – https://cleartax.in/s/does-gst-apply-to-me
5. Add Payment Details
- To ensure proper payment , add your bank account details and type in any additional notes if you have any.
- Although not necessary, it’s a good idea to use this field to thank your customer for their business.
Here is a quick overview of all the relevant details you shouldn’t miss while creating an invoice.
- Business name and contact information
- Client name and contact information
- Invoice number
- Invoice date
- Due date
- Service/Product name with description
- Quantity, Rate and tax if applicable
- Payment details
- Additional notes
2. How to Create an Invoice in MS Word
MS Word helps you create simple invoices that do not require any complex fields or formulas. One way you can create an invoice in MS Word is by simply downloading an invoice template in Word and customizing it as per your requirements. Here are the steps that you need to follow while creating an invoice in MS Word.
- Choose your invoice template in Word and download the template.
- Open the downloaded document in MS Word.
- Customize the header by inserting your business name and logo.
- Enter your business contact information, email address and phone number.
- Add your client’s name and contact information below or to the opposite side of your business details. Enter the email address and phone number also.
- Add the invoice details which includes the invoice number, invoice date, payment due date below or to the side of the buyer and seller details.
- In the template downloaded you will be able to see a table of the item lists. You can modify the heading of the table as per your needs if required.
- Under each column enter the respective values such as the item name, description, quantity, rate per quantity, tax and total amount.
- Below the item, list apply your signature and to the side of it you can enter a personal note thanking your clients for your business.
- Download the customized invoice and send it to your clients by mail or print them and mail directly.
3. How to Create an Invoice in MS Excel
MS Excel is the best choice to create professional invoices. You can add item details, tables, columns and formulas easily. You can also add your company logo and signature to make your invoice look personalized.
To get started, choose and download your invoice format in excel. Once you have downloaded open the file on excel and follow these steps:
- Customize the header by adding your business name and logo.
- Enter your business name and contact details.
- Add your client’s name and contact information.
- Enter your invoice number, invoice date and payment due date.
- In the item lists table, enter your item name, description, quantity, rate and tax under the respective columns.
- Upload your signature and enter a personal note thanking your clients for your business.
- Once done you can download the invoice and send it to your clients by mail.
4. How to create an invoice online using an invoice generator
If you need to create and send more than one invoice a month it is better if you switch to using an online invoice software. When there are a lot of invoices to send there are chances that you lose track of invoices and sometimes even forget about sending invoices to your clients at the right time. You can make this well organised and simplified using an invoice software like Zenys.
Let us start with how you can make an invoice online using Zenys invoice software.
- Firstly, choose a template to create your invoice.
- Choose the customer for whom you need to create an invoice. You can also create an invoice for a sale.
- In the template, start with uploading your company logo by clicking on the logo icon in the template.
- Enter your invoice details such as the invoice number, invoice date, due date and payment terms in the field provided.
- Enter the buyer and seller details in the respective fields.
- Click on the item list drop-down and fill up the item list field. If you need to add any discounts, include tax or change the tax type, unit or currency you can change the settings which is displayed on the right side of the template.
- In the additional notes and signature field you can upload your signature and add any additional details, for eg: a Thank you note. You can also add your bank account details here.
- Fill in the footer section with your name, contact number and email address.
- Once done, click Save document.
Once created you can easily send the invoice to your customer with just a click of a button. Your customers can log in to Zenys through the customer portal and view the invoice. You can also accept payment online from Zenys and keep a proper record of your collections.
Want to try our business management tool? Sign up for free today!
5. What is a proper invoice format?
There are no hard and fast rules on how an invoice should be designed. But, always keep in mind that the format you choose should be readable and that it helps the clients to know when, why and how they should pay you. Choose the best invoice format for you business from here.
A good invoice format could have all these fields formatted in a similar manner:
- You can keep your business name and contact information at the header of the invoice template. You can also add your company logo here.
- Below the sender details enter the buyer name and contact details.
- To the side of the client details, you can add your invoice details which include your invoice number, invoice date, invoice validity date and payment due date. You can make these in bold format as your clients can notice when to pay you at a glance.
- Next, you can create a table for the item lists which clearly shows the item name with description, the quantity (in proper units), the rate per quantity, tax (if applicable) and the total amount for each item (mention the currency).
- Below the item list, add the total amount. Make sure to keep it in a larger font size so that your client can easily notice how much they owe you.
- Below or to the side of the total amount you can mention the payment terms.
- At the bottom add your signature and a thank you note.